On June 23, 2020, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) released its fiscal year 2019/20 Enforcement Report which outlines how securities regulators are protecting investors and the integrity of Canada’s capital markets. Highlights from the fiscal year 2019/20 Enforcement Report include:
- 66 Investor Alerts were issued to warn the public about possible investment scams;
- 65 individuals were banned from participating in the capital markets;
- 95 interim cease-trade and asset-freeze orders were issued;
- Four individuals received a combined total of 18 years and 11 months years of jail time through regulators’ support of Criminal Code case investigations;
- 23 fraud cases were concluded, resulting in over $3 million in penalties; and
- 291 whistleblower tips were received.
The report can be found at: https://www.osc.gov.on.ca/en/NewsEvents_nr_20200623_csa_fiscal-year-enforcement-report.htm
For more information, please call Barbara Hendrickson at BAX Securities Law (647) 403-4606. This publication is not intended to constitute legal advice. No one should act on it or refrain from acting on it without consulting with a lawyer. BAX does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy or currency or completeness of the publication. No part of this publication may be reproduced without the prior written permission of BAX Securities Law.