Based in Toronto, Ontario, Barbara Hendrickson*, is the Managing Partner and Founder of BAX Securities Law. BAX Securities Law is ranked as one of the top ten Corporate Boutique firms in Canada (2016-2019). Barbara has practiced in the securities and corporate areas for over 20 years, including with a leading international law firm, a leading national law firm and as senior legal counsel with the Ontario Securities Commission.
Barbara is ranked in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Thomson Reuters) in the category of Corporate Finance & Securities law which is an acknowledgement of excellence by other lawyers. She is a featured Leading Lawyer in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and is “Consistently Recommended” in the Corporate Finance & Securities Area.
Barbara is AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell. This rating signifies that the lawyer’s reviewed peers rank Barbara at the highest level of professional excellence for her legal knowledge, communication skills and ethical standards.
*Barbara Hendrickson Professional Corporation
Awards & Recognition
Member of the Securities Advisory Committee (SAC). SAC provides advice to the Ontario Securities Commission and staff on a variety of matters including legislative and policy initiatives and important capital markets trends and brings various issues to the attention of the Commission and staff.
Received the Women’s Law Association of Ontario President’s Award, an award recognizing her substantial contribution and commitment to the promotion of women in law and as a leader in the legal profession.
Received the prestigious 2014 Arbor Award for her contributions to the University of Toronto.
Barbara’s Report on Pensions as Pensions as Family Property: Valuation and Division (Ontario Law Reform Commission) was cited by Mr. Justice Major in the Supreme Court of Canada decision in Best v. Best (1999) 2 SCR 868.
Toronto Business Lawyers Association
Founder of the Toronto Business Lawyers Association which is a group of business lawyers in downtown Toronto who practice in small and medium size firms and who get together for business development / referral purposes once a month. See torontobusinesslawyers.org
Toronto Lawyers Association
Member (2016- Present)
– Member of the Securities Committee of the Business Law Section.
– Past Co-Chair of the Securities Committee of the Business Law Section of the OBA and member of the Business Law Section Executive (2015-2016).
– Past member-of the Executive of the Natural Resources and Energy Executive Committee of the OBA (2007-2008).
– Past member of the Executive of the OBA Pension and Benefits Section Executive (1994-1996).
– Past member of OBA Council as representative of the WLAO, the Association of Law Officers of the Crown and as chair of the Business Law Section of the CBA. In addition, an elected member of OBA Council for one term.
– Past member of the Government Relations Committee of OBA Council (1995 – 1999).
– Past member and Chair of the Joint Committee on Gender Equality (1995 – 1997).
– Honorary Member-at-large of the Business Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association
– Secretary Treasurer of the Small Solo and General Practice Section of the Canadian Bar Association (2018- present.)
– Past Co-Chair of the Securities Committee of the Business Law Section (2007-2016).
– Past Chair of the Business Law Section (2012-2014), past Vice Chair (2010 – 2012), past Secretary (2008-2010) and past Treasurer (2006-2008).
– Led an advisory group of CBA securities lawyers from across Canada in a legal review of the draft securities act produced by the Expert Panel on Securities Regulation (2008). Coordinated a cross Canada review and the preparation of written submissions on the Canadian Capital Markets Regulator proposals including the following: Canadian Bar Association, Business Law Section, Securities Committee, Submissions on the Capital Markets Stability Act, July, 2016 and Canadian Bar Association, Business Law Section, Securities Committee, Submissions on the Cooperative Capital Markets Regulatory Governance and Legislative Framework System, November, 2015.
Women’s Law Association of Ontario (“WLAO”) (1994 – present)
– Member of the WLAO.
– Past member of the Executive (1994-2002) and past President of WLAO (1998 -2001).
Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (“PDAC”) (2006 – present)
– Member of the Securities Committee.
– Served three terms as an elected board member of the PDAC, past Co-Chair of the PDAC Securities Committee and past Member of the Securities Committee, the Nomination Committee, the Convention Planning Committee and the ad hoc Executive Director Search Committee. PDAC represents the interests of the Canadian mineral exploration and development industry.
Click to see Past Professional Affiliations
Education & Calls to the Bar
Called to the bars of Ontario (1994), British Columbia (2010), Alberta (1984) and Manitoba (1986).
Attended the University of Calgary Law School where she specialized in natural resources law (1982).
Masters of Tax Law from Osgoode Hall Law School (1997) and a Masters of Law from the University of Toronto in Administrative Law (1993).
Click for presentations and seminars
Click for recent representative transactions
Click for recent publications
e: [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter @baxhendrickson
Follow me on LinkedIn Barbara Hendrickson