Past Professional Affiliations
Canadian Bar Association (CBA) (2000 – 2016)
- Past Co-Chair of the Securities Committee of the Business Law Section (2007-2016).
- Past Chair of the Business Law Section (2012-2014), past Vice Chair (2010 – 2012), past Secretary (2008-2010) and past Treasurer (2006-2008).
- Led an advisory group of CBA securities lawyers from across Canada on a legal review of the draft securities act produced by the Expert Panel on Securities Regulation in advance of it being released to the public in January 2009 (2008). As Co-Chair of the CBA Securities Committee, continued to spearhead the CBA’s involvement in the federal government’s development of a cooperative securities regulator. For example, coordinated a cross Canada review and the preparation of written submissions on the Canadian Capital Markets Regulator proposals including the following:
- Canadian Bar Association, Business Law Section, Securities Committee, Submissions on the Capital Markets Stability Act, July, 2016.
- Canadian Bar Association, Business Law Section, Securities Committee, Submissions on the Cooperative Capital Markets Regulatory Governance and Legislative Framework System, November, 2015
OBA Foundation (2014 – 2016)
Past Trustee of the OBA Foundation. (2014-2016) The OBA Foundation is the charitable arm of the Ontario Bar Association. Also the past Chair of a committee which is responsible for administering the OBA Foundation Award in Canadian Aboriginal, Environmental and/or Natural Resources Law – Law School Essay Competition.
University of Toronto, Responsible Investing Committee (“RIC”) (2014 – 2016)
Former Vice-Chair and past Chair of the Proxy Voting Subcommittee of RIC. RIC advises the Financial Services Department of the University of Toronto on how to leverage its funds to promote social justice and sustainability and to propose how the University can better engage companies as a shareholder including becoming more active on environmental, social and governance issues.
University of Toronto, School of the Environment. Environmental Finance Advisory Committee (“EFAC”) (2006 – 2016)
Was a member of EFAC for nearly 10 years. EFAC’s mandate is to provide a forum for the exchange of innovative ideas in the environmental finance between the University and the commercial sector was awarded the Arbor Award in September 2014 for her volunteer activities on EFAC and outstanding personal service to the University of Toronto. As a member of the EFAC, have been involved in the development of a certificate program in the carbon finance area, lobbying in the area of emissions trading and the development of conferences in the emissions trading, the climate change and adaptation and water areas. Have also has spoken widely in Canada, the United States, Europe and South America in the carbon finance area. The highlight of her EFAC activities was representing the University of Toronto at the 15th annual Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in Copenhagen in December 2009 (“COP-15”) where she was a speaker on a panel in a side session entitled “Impacts and Opportunities for Indigenous Peoples: Developing Indigenous-Led Climate Ventures for a Sustainable Future” along with the Assembly of First Nations and the Centre for International Sustainable Development Law. During COP 15 also co-chaired a panel discussion with the AFN entitled “Expert Led Conversations on Forest Based Mitigation and Adaptation Ventures”. The panel included George Erasmus, Stan Beardy, Dave Porter and Joe Morrison. The panel discussion was followed by a reception where the featured speaker was Grand Chief Atleo. Was a member of a special think tank advising the then Grand Chief Atleo on issues related to climate change in the months preceding COP 15. Also organized a series of webinars with the Carrier Sekani Tribal Council, on behalf of EFAC, entitled “First Nations and Carbon” which “brought together First Nations, carbon specialists, government and environmental groups to provide information regarding their projects and policies regarding carbon and emissions trading, science and financing.” More recently, was a speaker in this series on the topic of “Financing Carbon/ Renewable Projects”.
Prepared submissions to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change, on the proposed Bill 172 “Climate Change Mitigation & the Low Carbon Economy Act, 2016”. (March 24, 2016)
Women In Mining (2006 – 2010).
Founding Vice-President of Women in Mining and promoted the early Women in Mining sessions during PDAC Convention. As Vice-President of Women in Mining, was involved in organizing (corporately and otherwise) and raising funds for a series of receptions at the PDAC Annual Convention. The receptions are designed to bring together women from all over the world in the mining sector. Was also responsible for organizing monthly luncheons which are designed as networking opportunities for women in the mining industry.
Ontario Securities Commission
- Past member of an OSC advisory committee, the Small and Medium Enterprises Committee, which advises the OSC on the challenges of raising capital for small and medium enterprises (2014 – 2015).
- Past member of the OSC’s Environmental Reporting Advisory Committee, an advisory committee that made recommendations for guidance on environmental disclosure (2007-2008).
Other Past Professional Affiliations
- Past president and member of the Executive of ALOC (1993-1996). ALOC represents civil lawyers and articling students employed by the Government of Ontario.
- Past member of the executive and Treasurer of the Legal Education Action Fund (1989 – 1992).
- Past member of the Alberta chapter of the National Association of Women and the Law (“NAWL”) (1979 -1982). Was involved in the creation of the first NAWL chapter at the University of Calgary. Was also a member of the Manitoba Chapter of NAWL (1975 -1977).
- Past member of a number of professional and industry associations in the climate change area: past member of the Carbon Trading Committee and the Handbook Revision Sub-committee of the Environmental Markets Association (2008 – 2010); past member of the Forestry Working Group of the Inter-Provincial Offsets Group (2008 – 2010); past member of the Stakeholder Advisory Committee on the Implementation of the Kyoto Protocol and Global Climate Change, Clean Energy and Emissions Trading Practice sponsored by CDM & JI Office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (2004 -2005); past member of the Emissions Trading Working Group and the Energy, Commodities and Developing Products Committee of International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc. (2008 – 2009) and past member of the Business Law Section and Environment, Energy and Resources Section of the American Bar Association (2003- 2009).
- Past member of a number of securities industry associations including: Women in Capital Markets, Canadian Institute of Corporate Directors, Canadian Corporate Counsel Association, the Canadian Listed Company Association and the Canadian Capital Markets Association.